Tribute to First Free
Serving as the Sr. Pastor at the First Evangelical Free Church in Onalaska, Wisconsin for over 17 years was one of the greatest privileges of my life. Leaving this church was the hardest thing I have ever done. I only left because the Lord made it abundantly clear I was to move my family closer to our aging parents in the southeast. I not only left a "flock" that I shepherded, but I also left friends that I cherish. I am so glad there are no final "good-byes" in the kingdom of God, only "see you later" – in heaven one day!
First Free is an amazing church. I know I can’t be completely objective, but seriously, this body of believers is unique in many ways. They are not perfect, because no church is perfect. However, I do want to mention some of the many qualities I appreciate about First Free:
- Teachable in their journey with Christ.
- Hungry for the fullness of God.
- Willing to be led into Word and Spirit Christianity.
- Loving and accepting of all people.
- Supportive and generous to me as their pastor.
- Currently led by a solid staff team.
- Committed to prayer and waiting on God for His best.
- Receptive to the Word of God.
- Engaged in worship to Jesus.
- Sacrificial in giving toward many kingdom endeavors.
- United in the essentials while allowing diversity in the non-essentials.
Thanks First Free for allowing me to be your pastor for so long. I miss you, pray for you regularly, and look forward to being with you in heaven!
Don’t forget these two truths: "I loved being one of your pastors" and "Jesus is Head of the Church."
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1 Cor. 15:58
ArticlesFarewell, Pastor Holt: Longtime evangelical leader returning to his Georgia roots
First Free pastor looks for new path after 18 years